REES Commercial Lighting Upgrade Solution
Business SA, Unley - Case Study
Business SA, Unley is South Australia’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the state’s peak employer body.
They contacted AGL to have their lights upgraded with the aim to save on their energy bills. AGL engaged Trades Services SA to undertake the project.
Estimated electricity cost savings per year
Project cost before REES rebate1:
Project cost after REES rebate:
$3,530 (REES rebate approx $5,249)
Electricity usage savings pa (approx)2:
27, 717 kWh
Payback: About 0.47 years3
Design and delivery
Trades Services SA
BCA building classification
The lighting upgrade project involved upgrading lights throughout their entire store and office space:
- Replacement Replacement of 359 x 36W T8 fluorescent tubes with 359 x 11W LED tubes.
- Replacement of 10 x 18W T8 fluorescent tubes with 10 x 6W LED tubes.
- LUX measurements were taken in each space to confirm lighting standard requirements.
- All lights and fittings were removed from the site and recycled.
Also, 117 non-working fluorescent tubes were replaced at the customer’s request. These weren’t claimable under REES.
- The project is expected to deliver an estimated 27,717 kWh in electricity savings annually2, equating to estimated annual savings of about $7,508.^
- The building now has improved lighting levels and a reduction in maintenance/ replacement costs as the new LED lights have a full product and installation warranty of three years. The LED products installed have x1.8 life expectancy when compared to traditional linear fluorescent tubes.
All prices include GST.
1Includes costs such as installation, product costs, non-working lights and equipment hire.
2Savings based on the difference between Business SA’s previous and upgraded lighting products operating at an average of 3,000 hours annually.
3Estimated time for Business SA to save the project cost (after REES rebate) with respect to the electricity cost savings.
^Electricity cost savings: based on Business SA’s electricity usage savings multiplied by its electricity tariff at time of installation (27c/kWh).